Safe at Home Court Support and Liaison Service
The Court Support and Liaison Service provides support to adult and child victims of family violence. Support is available for male and female victims regardless of age or cultural background.
Dedicated Court Support Officers are available Statewide to assist Safe at Home clients with the following:
- How to take out a Family Violence Order
- How to vary or extend an existing Order
- Provide advice on legal and court processes
- Provide ongoing updates on progress of a matter through the courts.
Further assistance can be provided by the Court Support Officers as matters proceed through the courts including:
- Providing court orientation in the form of a court tour to explain court layout and facilities and the roles of people in the court.
- Accompanying the victim to court and providing support throughout the court process.
- Debriefing following court and discussing the impact of a magistrate/judge’s decisions.
- Follow-up through referral to other services.
These services are free and confidential and are provided by Victim Support Services, Department of Justice.
A dedicated Aboriginal Court Support Officer is available to provide support to Aboriginal adult and child victims of family violence.
Under the Safe at Home Program, the Legal Aid Commission has Legal Officers in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie/Devonport to:
- Provide legal advice and assistance to victims of family violence.
- Give general advice about Family Law matters, especially children's residence and contact and help the victim apply for a grant of aid for a Family Lawyer to act on their behalf.
- Help the victim find out what is happening to the offender's criminal charges in the Magistrates Court and what is likely to happen as a result.
- Where Police are making an application on the victim's behalf, talk with them to help the victim achieve the outcome they would like.
Court Support and Liaison Service – 1300 633 773 (toll free)
Aboriginal Court Support Officer: Phone: 1300 663 773 (toll free) or (03) 6165 7530
Hobart: (03) 6165 7525
Launceston: (03) 6777 2937
Burnie: (03) 6477 7133